Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken Vegetable Stir-Fry



Here it is. One of my favorite dishes that is both healthy and amazing for your taste buds to enjoy.

CHICKEN - VEGETABLE STIR - FRY

8 tbsp. diagonally sliced scallions (green onions) 3 garlic cloves, minced 4 c. each sliced asparagus (1 inch pieces) and sliced mushrooms 1 c. red or green bell peppers, cut in 1/2 inch strips 4 tsp. Chinese sesame oil 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 inch strips 8 tsp. soy sauce 4 c. cooked long grain rice (hot)
In small non-stick skillet (or wok), heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil) over high heat; add scallion and garlic and saute until scallion is tender- crisp (2-3 minutes). Add vegetables and cook, stirring quickly and frequently, until tender (3-5 minutes). Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.

In same pan, heat together sesame oil and remaining teaspoon of peanut/vegetable oil. Add chicken and stir-fry until chicken begins to brown (3-5 minutes). Return vegetables to skillet; add soy sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through (1-2 minutes). Serve over hot rice. Broccoli or green beans may be substituted.

I found this recipe online amongst my many searches for something new for dinner and this one has stayed a favorite. I actually have one that I used maybe a year ago that I loved even more, but I have never found it again. :-(

However, when this was found, it was a close second and actually is way better in the calorie-department anyway.

When I have a lot of fresh veggies on hand, I like to make this dish every couple of weeks. This week I had a lot of bell peppers, cauliflower and carrots, but I love to use asparagus, broccoli and even squash in this recipe if I have them.



Side note: I add a LOT more soy sauce than they call for. I use what they say and divide it on our plates and then Dave and I pour quite a bit more on our individual plates. I actually pull the kids food out before I add it all together though. They like it more plain.

Parents Review: One hundred thumbs up
Kids Review: They love it too, but only two thumbs up. They can't go as crazy as us. :-)

Please let me know if you guys make any of these recipes and love them, hate them, changed them, whatever. I enjoy the feedback and we can all benefit from a really yummy meal suggestion!

By the way, I am up to 30 followers. Are you going to be next??

1 comment:

  1. I love this stir fry. It is so yummy! This coming week I am making your chicken pot pie and pepper steak over rice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete