Sunday, October 24, 2010

Good for you Cookies


Don't you love that all these words are in the same recipe title?

I have had this recipe forever and ever. I found it in a cookbook that I purchased when I first got married (nearly 14 years ago) and it's called "The Joy of Hospitality". It's basically a culmination of recipes from a bunch of ministry women, pastor's wives and Godly women who love to entertain.

It's kind of your local church cookbook on steroids. I love it. 2 of my favorite recipes have come from this book and this is one of them.

My friend Kelley, who use to be my next door neighbor, is a huge fan of these and I think of her every time I come across the recipe. In fact - she is getting some of these I made this weekend. :-)

If you read my main blog over at Me-Moddy, you'll know I refer to my 2 beautiful children as Little Girl (our 5 year old daughter) and Baby Boy (our 2 year old son). We adopted both of our children through 2 amazing experiences and our lives have never been the same since.

Any-hoo. Little Girl had more energy than was necessary for a 5 year old on a Saturday night and my first thought was, let's bake together and I'll pump you full of sugar.

This should totally calm you down.

Even though these cookies are titled "good for you" - it doesn't mean that there isn't sugar and oil involved, because they are. But - so is Wheat Germ and whole wheat flour and raisins and almonds and many other things. If you have ever had an "oatmeal scotchie" (this is what my mom called them) - this is what I think they kind of taste like.

REALLY AMAZING.

I've never tried to substitute the oil for applesauce or anything like that, but I bet you could. I am not a great substituter, because when I want something good, I don't really like to sacrifice much taste, so that's just me. But, if anyone tries it, will you please tell me how it tastes and if you liked it?? I would love to know.

O.K. Well, the cookies are to die for, so I'll just get to it.

Here's the recipe.

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup oil
1 cup raisins
6 oz. butterscotch chips
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Cups brown sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk (again, you could use a little lemon juice plus enough to make 1/4 cup if you don't have any)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour or graham flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in the order listed. Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until light brown. Makes 4-5 dozen.





1 comment: