Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My "Amish" Beef & Noodles



If you read my main blog over at Me-Moddy, you might remember that I just got back from a trip to Amish Country with my mom and the girls on our annual road trip a couple of weeks ago.

I also mentioned that I had these most incredible Beef & Noodles while I was there and I asked one of the young amish girls if I could get their recipe. The first girl wasn't sure, but the girl next door at the bakery was eager to go find someone to tell me how to make it.

Well, I made it this weekend. I followed everything this woman said and it didn't quite taste like it did in Jamesport. It was missing something. So, I added a little brown gravy (straight from the 'ol McCormick red packet) and mixed it in. I definitely think they left something out in the disclosure of this recipe, but I'm not sure if it was gravy or something else.

Anyway, we did actually enjoy our meal this evening and thought the gravy did add something nice to the texture and flavor. I am still going to tweak it a little, but here's the recipe for you to do some of your own tweaking with maybe.

Beef & Noodles.

3-4 lb. bottom round roast
Sprinkle all over with Lawry's seasoning and black pepper.
Fill a roasting pan half full of water.
Cover with foil and put in the oven at 225 degrees ALL NIGHT LONG.
(I put mine in around 10 p.m and ended up letting it cook until 11:00 the next morning. I put mine at 200 degrees since I didn't want it to burn, but I think I should've done what they said at 225.) I don't think you can really do this wrong. I just took a fork and tried to start pulling it apart to see if it was ready.

Use the broth made in your roasting pan and fill up a pot. Add some canned beef broth (I used 2 cans). Boil some large flat noodles according to package directions.

Mix beef and noodles together when done. At this point, I decided to make some McCormick's "brown gravy" and mix it in and serve. I cooked some green peas to throw on the side and I liked the combo.

It really is a very good meal, it's just not what I remember it tasting like there. It could be the cut of meat I purchased, how long I cooked it, how I seasoned it.....who knows.

I'm gonna keep trying. I think it could totally be perfected. Give it a whirl and see what you can come up with!



I also made some Crustless Pumpkin Pie for our dessert. I'll post that recipe in the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment