Friday, November 5, 2010

Barbecue Meatballs


Yes, I am posting another meatball recipe. Apparently, I have some cravings this week. This dinner is one of my husband's favorites. If I tell him to pick a meal he wants for the weekend or something special, he usually says "barbecue meatballs". The home-made sauce is very sweet and yummy and it actually reminds both of us of this Chinese dish we used to eat in California called "cherry chicken" and we ate that anytime we could. I guess that's why I started serving these meatballs over rice because it reminded us of that food so much.

I didn't get a picture of our meal, but we served the meatballs over brown rice (cooked in half water and half chicken broth) and with some steamed broccoli (salt and squeezed lemon over the top. Yummy). We had a new babysitter over to the house that we wanted to get to know, so we served her this.

We also served her some crustless pumpkin pie, but you will soon learn that I have a tiny obsession with these low-calorie treats all through this holiday season. Be fore-warned. :-)

Here's the recipe:

Barbecue Meatballs

Meatballs:
3 lbs. hamburger meat (I mix half ground round and half lean ground beef)
1 can evaporated milk (I use 2%)
2 eggs
2 Cups Oatmeal (old fashioned or quick cooking oats)
1 Cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine these ingredients and shape into walnut-sized meatballs. Line pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour (or less depending on your oven).

Sauce:
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups Ketchup
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke
1 tsp. chili powder
a little bit of chopped onion (a few Tbsp or so)

Let the sauce simmer and add the meatballs when done baking. Serve over rice and add a veggie for an awesome meal!


Here's the pot with our leftovers. We gobbled a ton of them up!


Parents Review: One of our favorites!
Kids Review: Baby Boy devoured 2 of them and Little Girl ate 5! Hear that? 5!!

1 comment: