Sunday, November 14, 2010

Home-made Granola & Yogurt Parfait




I have realllllly good memories of my mom's home-made granola baking in the oven late in the evening and then she would pull it out piping hot, we would immediately scoop some in a bowl and pour cold milk over it.

Yum. Mo.

I love to make it every once in awhile for my family as a treat and recently I started making yogurt parfaits with it as a part of our Big Breakfast days on Saturday morning or just for a little something in the afternoon. It's very good.

Here's the Granola Recipe:

(This is a "double" recipe by the way)

8 Cups Quick Oats
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup Wheat Germ
2/3 Cup Coconut
2/3 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
2 Tsp. Vanilla

Heat oats in ungreased 9X13 (or larger) pan in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. I use my broiler pan. Then, combine brown sugar, wheat germ and coconut and stir into oats. Mix honey, oil and vanilla and add to dry mixture. Stir well. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes to avoid burning and sticking together. After removing from oven, stir occasionally to cool. Refrigerate.

Side note: When I made this yesterday, I decided to try and lighten this up a bit. I cut my brown sugar, oil and honey in half. I still thought it tasted wonderful. I also threw in about 1/2 Cup slivered Almonds for the last 10 minutes and it was good. Please feel free to make it this way or to eat all the lovely calories that it calls for. I won't judge. :-)

This is how it looks when I pull it out of the oven.


For the Yogurt Parfait, all I do is layer low fat vanilla yogurt, sliced strawberries, scoop of granola and repeat. Very yummy breakfast or snack. (Also - I have to say that I use the Great Value brand from Walmart and it is by far my favorite yogurt!)


Happy Breakfast eating!

Be watching for more recipes to come. One I will be making later in the week is my italian sausage and cheese tortellini soup. It'll make your hair curl!

Thanks for being a follower if you've already signed up. If you haven't - go do it now while you are printing out this recipe. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment