
I am fully aware that this dish looks both burnt and un-appetizing. The first part could be partially true because my slow cooker cooks like lightening speed and I forget that sometimes with dishes like this, but the second part is SO NOT TRUE.
These meatballs are beyond yummy. David and I even ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning with our eggs. They were tasty then too.
I am not usually a fruit in my meat kind of girl, but this combo works. I think my friend Shauna said she baked these one time and I would love to hear how those turned out and how long she cooked them and everything. That would be a good option if you don't get these in your crock in time.
My crockpot is so big that I have inserted a small casserole dish inside to cook these in so they will cook a little more slowly. It does help, but I still could've shaved an hour or more off of my cooking time and they would've been a bit better. But, even a little overcooked - we enjoy these alot.
I am going to give credit where credit is due for this one, because this is yet another recipe from over at A Year of Slow Cooking Blog that I love so dearly. Here's the recipe. Enjoy.

I made mine with Risotto with carmelized leeks and bell pepper. I will post the recipes for this side dish tomorrow. You can serve them with anything from pasta to rice to any kind of carb and then a veggie.
Side note: I usually use raisins because I don't often have cranberries on hand and they are still awesome!
Parents Review: So wonderfully flavorful!
Kids Review: Baby Boy likes them, Little Girl gave them 2 thumbs down....just because she likes to torture me. I think she is enjoying giving me the thumbs down on most of my recipes now if they aren't plain and lacking in flavor. :-)
I think this is one of my favorite recipes you've posted! We LOVE these meatballs! We serve them with whole wheat pasta tossed with a little bit of olive oil and parm cheese. Yum! I've made them in the crock pot and the oven (375 for 15-20 min, I think). I didn't think they were as moist and flavorful when made in the oven. When I made them in the crock pot, I actually mixed up the meat, made the meatballs, and then froze them (don't do this if you're using previously frozen meat). Then when I wanted to make them several days later, I threw the frozen meatballs in the crock pot. That really helped with cooking time, so they weren't overdone.
ReplyDeleteThese look awesome. What size is your crockpot though? I might have to use an insert as well if mine is the same size as yours.
ReplyDelete