
I was supposed to make this dish for a yummy brunch treat when my sis and family were in town, however, we ran out of time - as usual. I had my goals set too high for all the baking I was already committed too and I could cook no more!
Soooooo, what I did was make it for our Life Group with our church last Sunday since we were having a Holiday Appetizer-ish theme and I figured this dish would work. I also made BBQ Meatballs, because hello, they are just always a hit.
I am kind of having a love/hate relationship with this new recipe. I found it in my "Betty Crocker's Best Christmas Cookbook" and it made my mouth kinda water.
When I made it on Sunday, I loved the flavor, but couldn't tell if maybe it was....a little under-done? It seemed a little runny or something to me. I didn't see anyone gagging in a corner, but I didn't hear anyone hailing to it either. So, on my first taste tester - it was just o.k., but I will have to say, that I microwaved some up for my lunch today and I ended up having 2 helpings! I think it may have needed to set up a little more or cook some more. I really enjoyed it today.

I know my pics are terrible, but it hit me while we were sitting around the table with our lifegroup friends that I hadn't snapped a picture.
Here's some of our lovely group minus me and Dave and our friends the Lopez's.

Aren't they cute?
:-)
Here's the recipe for this Holiday Strata:
3 Tbsp. butter
3 medium Granny Smith Apples, peeled and chopped (3 cups) (and I like mine really fine)
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
4 Cups cubed firm bread (I used a loaf of whole wheat french bread)
1 pound bacon, crisply cooked and coarsely chopped (I used Turkey bacon that we cooked in the oven. It was perfect)
2 Cups shredded sharp cheddar Cheese (8 oz)
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp ground mustard (dry)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp pepper
5 eggs
Grease 2-quart casserole. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook apples in butter 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in brown sugar; reduce heat to low. Cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
Layer half each of the bread, bacon, apples and cheese in casserole. Repeat with remaining bread, bacon, apples and cheese.
Mix remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Cover rightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Parents Review: Loved it after I nuked it a little in the microwave. Definitely make sure it is cooked through.
Kids Review: They never tried it. Too many foods in one casserole for my kids.
:-)
Tune in tomorrow and I will tell you about my Roast fiasco while having friends over for the first time.
We ordered pizza.
See you tomorrow!
Sounds delish! I'll definitely have to try this for my MOPS group! One thought- I love to bake with apples, and I've noticed that the finer you chop them, the more water they release. That might be why it needed more time to set up or cook. If you add slightly more bread, that should compensate for extra water from the finer chopped apples.
ReplyDelete