Sunday, January 16, 2011

Carli's Sausage Stuffed Waffles



Is it me or does my waffle look like a heart?

It's another Carli-recipe. She made this one up herself one night and served it for herself and her kiddos while her husband happened to be out of town. She loved it and shared it with us. I'm SO glad she did!!

I used Jimmy Dean's Maple flavored sausage, cooked it up, and poured it in my waffle batter. I don't usually use mixes for pancakes or waffles, so I was excited to see that she had a recipe to make the waffles too. The only thing I changed was that I used half whole wheat flour and half white. I like the taste and the fiber is nice too. From scratch is so much better and it really doesn't take much more time.

Here's the link to her recipe.



Parents Review: It was so different and so filling. I could only eat about 3/4 of ONE waffle. It was very thick and dense (some of that was the whole wheat flour I have too), but I loved all the flavors. I poured syrup over it and devoured it. I actually kept eating them cold throughout the day for a snack. Doesn't that sound healthy? :-) David is eating healthy right now and only had a bite, but he really liked them too.
Kids Review: Little Girl said she didn't like it, but then preceded to eat it, so who knows with that picky girl. Baby Boy ate one and begged for me!

SCORE!

Gotta try it!!

3 comments:

  1. The first thing I thought when I opened this page was... does she have a heart shaped waffle maker? lol Glad you loved the waffles. The denseness must have been from the wheat... but could also be from stirring a little too much. sometimes that happens. I do use wheat flour a lot, but not sure if I've ever used it in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to try this recipe. So simple, why have I never thought of it?? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these tonight. I used my mom's oatmeal waffle recipe and threw in the sausage. Delicious!!! Thanks, Kara (and Carli) for this scrumptious idea.

    ReplyDelete