Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mexican Fried Ice Cream



It's Cinco De Mayo and we are celebrating with food. Yay! Here's a great recipe that I made with the kids today and it was so much fun. Not only was it easy and the kids got to help out with all the fun, but it was really, really good.

Here's the ingredients - minus the ice cream.


First we scooped some ice cream into a plastic baggie and formed it into a ball. We did this for each of us (in different bags) and threw them in the freezer until we were ready to use them.

Then, the kids poured some frosted flakes into a bag and a good amount of cinnamon and then smashed it up with a rolling pin. They loved this. You want to really taste the cinnamon, but you don't want it spicy. Go ahead and sample it to see what you like.


When we were ready to eat them, we got out the flour tortillas, sprayed our pan with Pam butter spray and fried them up a little bit. After I cooked each side - I sprinkled it with a cinnamon sugar mixture.



Immediately throw your tortillas inside your bowl to "form a bowl" before it gets crispy. Then, take out your ice cream balls and throw them in your frosted flakes mixture and shake it all up. Add your ice cream ball inside your tortilla, drizzle with honey and your done. You can also add a little whipped cream and sprinkles on top if you want to.

Here's how ours turned out.



Parents Review: I could've eaten two of them. It was like yummy, cinnamon honey ice cream and the tortilla was super tasty.
Kids Review: They would like it to be Cinco De Mayo every day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh girl. I am all over this recipe. I love Mexican Fried ice cream. The other recipes I've seen involved way too many steps and deep frying the ice cream. Gross. Your recipe sounds perfect. And much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I like the sound of eating two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara - I made this last week. HUGE hit in my house! Everyone loved it. And it was so easy! I just need to remember to make it next year ON May 5th :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora made this for us this last weekend and I had to go and buy the stuff to make it for Joel (he wasn't there).

    Funny to call it "fried" ice cream...but this is even better! A-MAZING! Mmmm!

    (Oh yeah, and I was looking for this under "holiday" label since it was for Cinco do Mayo - but it wasn't there.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for telling me that Nina. I just added this to the "holiday" labels. I forgot to do that! I'm so glad you you liked it. Yes- it's a fun twist on "fried", but I love how easy it is and sooo good! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete